Monday, April 26, 2010

A Spirit of Contention....

"A man lives by believing something: not by debating and arguing about many things." -Thomas Carlyle

I love President Hinckley's book "Standing For Something." I have so much admiration for positive people who believe in things. Conversely, I get frustrated with people who live in a spirit of contention and spend their efforts knocking down others.

There is so much vitriol that gets tossed around with politics and religion lately. You just wish people could be more respectful generally and not denigrate one another for difference of opinion on so many issues. I think extremists on either end of a spectrum who are belligerent and contentious can be terribly annoying!

This all ties in nicely with one of our scripture mastery verses this year. Found in 3rd Nephi 11:29, Christ admonishes the Nephites: "For verily, verily, I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another."

And, of course, the great illustration comes from none other than my favorite Doctor....Ted Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss!