Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Centenarians I Have Known!" or "What Is A Good Age To Retire?"

"My feeling is that people who stop working die. Coming to the office daily keeps me interested, it keeps me alive, and that's why I continue to do it." -Richard Bird, from a Deseret News article that appeared on Mr. Bird's 100th Birthday (April 13th, 2007)

Mr. Bird passed away over a year ago but his life is a marvelous example to our family! He was active and vibrant to the end! My Dad and Mr. Bird were law partners so I knew him my whole life and I'm really glad my children were able to enjoy this darling man through our annual summer trips to Sun Valley.

Mr. Bird graduated from Harvard Law School in 1933 and practiced law in Salt Lake City for over 75 years! When asked the secret to his longevity he said he wasn't really sure but thought that exercise helped and added: "I have a good diet. I don't drink. I don't smoke. And I've done a lot of church work and community work." (Deseret News article)

One of the highlights of past Sun Valley vacations was Mr. Bird. We loved to ask him questions like: "Did he drive up? (it's a 5 hour drive) "Was he going to Golf this year?" (at age 100) "Does he still come into work every day?" Answers: "Yes," "Yes," and "Yes!" Remarkable! Webb loved to check out Mr. Bird's pants annually (see photo). It's the fashion polar opposite of sagging jeans! The waistband nearly reaches his shirt pocket! What is it about elderly men and their high rise pants?

Whenever my Dad (age 80) was asked about retiring from his law practice he would joke that his two senior partners, Mr. Richards and Mr. Bird, were both still practicing in their 90's and beyond, so retirement didn't look like it was an option in their law firm! But, seriously, how lucky my Dad was to have men who kept working because they enjoyed staying active, busy, and learning their entire lives! Now, Mr. Richards and Mr. Bird are gone but my Dad has continued the legacy. My Mom likes to joke that "slowing down" for Gramps is working six days a week instead of seven!

"Retirement kills more people than hard work ever did." -Malcolm Forbes