Monday, September 7, 2009

"Welcome To My World!" or "Grocery Shop Till You Drop!"

Andie was kind enough to bring home 2 tubs of Ice Cream to the Old Folks on Saturday night. Then, on Sunday she was complaining that it was half gone already! And I smugly thought, "Ha! Welcome to My World!"

My World, of Brent and Paige handily polishing off the entire Ice Cream Container in 1 sitting! My World, of returning from Costco, only to have 3 new items added to the list faster than I can unload the car! My World, of Never-Ending-Shopping-Lists!

Many years ago, in a galaxy not so far away....I made a Fatal Error when it came to Grocery Shopping! I took Input from Family Members on Preferences! What kind of Mother Does That? Preferences, meaning they like Crystal Geyser Water over the Arrowhead Brand. Preferences, meaning the Boar's Head Turkey makes better sandwiches. Preferences, meaning, the produce is better from Cosentinos Market.

The huge problem with all these Preferred Items is that One-Stop-Shopping is No-Longer-An-Option! To keep everyone happy (and well fed) I have Ongoing Lists for the ALL of the following stores: 1. Whole Foods 2. Trader Joes 3. Costco 4. Smart and Final Iris 5. Costentinos 6. Target. Yes, that would be 6 Stores! Six stores just to cover the Basics! And aside from the staples, I'll even drive to Asian markets or multiple Safeway stores just looking for somebody's treasured item or specialty brand! All for the same reason people bother to climb Mount Everest, I suppose! (in case you aren't familiar w/the quote: "Because it is there").

And once you create the monster.....well, you know the drill! Now, I'm all over the Bay Area to get specific brands from one store and some unique item only carried at another store and organic this or that at yet another store!

So, when Andie was frustated that her Dad (it wasn't me, I promise - I prefer Haagen Dazs) consumed half the ice cream she purchased envisioning it might last the week; I could definitely feel her pain! But, for me personally, it was quite nice to see it happen to someone else this time! So, in a twist to the famous Descartes statement: "I Grocery Shop, Therefore I Am!"

1 comment: