Monday, September 21, 2009

"Tolle Lege" "Take Up and Read"

St. Augustine's conversion to Christianity is a great story that he shares in detail in his book "Confessions." He is sitting in a garden and hears the voice of a child from beyond the wall, "Tolle, lege," (Latin for "Take Up and Read,") and he opens the Bible he had laid aside to a random page. His eyes light on a passage from Romans that reads, "Let us walk honestly, as in the day, not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying; but put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, in concupiscence." (Romans 13:13). Augustine's reform and conversion is accomplished at that moment!

In a similar vein, I always remember when our Prophet, Ezra Taft Benson, made the promise that WITHIN the scriptures we can find the answers that speak to our soul! St. Augustine's experience (around 386 AD in Milan) when a child's voice prompted him to "Take up and Read" is a good recommend. I'm amazed at how often the scriptures enlighten my thoughts on topics that are weighing on my mind. It is often uncanny when I "take up and read" how much the message on the page aligns with what I am needing to hear or learn at the moment. There's an old adage that goes: "When all else fails, read the directions" so, my spiritual version might be, "When all else fails, Tolle Lege."