Friday, December 9, 2011

My pile of books is a mile high...

“Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I’ll have a long beard by the time I read them.”
-Arnold Lobel

I always have a pile of books stacked up waiting for me to find extra reading time. My pile always sports an eclectic mix of titles and authors. But this past fall, with my return to school, most of my reading has been in the pages of my textbooks. Hence, my book pile has grown with less time for pleasure reading.

But the school quarter wrapped up yesterday. And suddenly I have a greater appreciation for the opportunity to read anything in my stack. No assigned reading throughout the entire holiday. I can start or finish or skim any books I want. I can hardly wait.

At the top of my list to read is Ann Patchett’s State of Wonder. I had to restrain myself from starting it during school, lest I abandon coursework in favor of a good novel.

There is no possible way I’ll read through my whole pile of books before winter quarter begins at Santa Clara. But I’m delighted to just have a crack at it for a couple of weeks. Happy Reading to Me!

“Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.” -Jane Smiley