Wednesday, December 7, 2011

S.M.A.R.T. Goals....

When Brent asked for feedback on some goals for the Saratoga Stake, Paige reminded him to be sure he’s setting smart goals, or S.M.A.R.T. goals, as in specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely.

I’d forgotten about this goal acronym and it’s a good one to incorporate. If I blog about it I’m far more likely to remember it the next time I’m setting new goals, which should happen in a few weeks as we soon ring in the new year (hence new goals/resolutions).

I like all of these points. “M” and "A” are probably the most salient points to me. If a goal can’t be measured then I’m not sure it can really be considered a goal.

And attainable probably speaks to the realist in me. If it’s too pie-in-the-sky thinking it’s hard to take seriously. My personal goals need to be a stretch but something I can really reach.

So, maybe I’m not all that smart but at least I can set goals that are smart!

“The tragedy in life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.” -Benjamin Mays