Monday, December 12, 2011

We Can Do It! ...Or Can We?

Sometimes, we can do it. And sometimes, we can’t. Do it all, that is.

Overzealous women like to think they can take on the world. And maybe some can. Personally, I’ve got my limits. And I’m learning through experience not to overextend myself beyond my capabilities.

I’ve given up any pretense to be a high achiever in every category. For me it’s pretty basic, there are tradeoffs. No one (especially not me) can be the consummate parent, wife, volunteer, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.

When my plate gets too full or I’m juggling too many balls, I’m getting better at letting something go. Even though it’s hard for me to say no to good things. My ability to decline invitations I simply can’t fit into my life is improving.

So, what gives? Well, this year it is homemade Christmas cards. I’ve custom made our holiday cards for many years and while I enjoy it, it’s a time consuming project. This year, with the addition of school, I simply don't have time to create a unique card.

We’ll still send a Christmas card but this year I ordered them. I hated giving up ownership, but as it turns out, the cards look just as good (probably better) than my home made ones anyway.