Bill Marriott’s 12 Rules for Success
1. Continually challenge your team to do better.
2. Take good care of your employees and they’ll take good care of your customers, and the customers will come back.
3. Celebrate your people’s successes, not your own.
4. Know what you’re good at, and then mine those competencies for all your worth.
5. Do it and do it now. Err on the side of taking action.
6. Communicate. Listen to your customers, associates and competitors.
7. See and be seen. Get out of your office, walk around, make yourself visible and accessible.
8. Success is in the details.
9. It’s more important to hire people with the right qualities than with the specific experience.
10. Customer needs may vary, but their bias for quality never does.
11. Eliminate the cause of a mistake. Don’t just clean it up.
12. View every problem as an opportunity to grow.
I love this photo of Bill Marriott with John, Steve, and David (his 3 sons). He turns 80 on March 25th and he’ll retire at the end of the month. His 12 rules for success are for business but applicable for anyone really.