Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Class Participation...

One of the Peanuts comic strips has Charlie Brown, Linus, and Lucy lying on a hillside looking up at the clouds:

“If you use your imagination you can see lots of things in the cloud formations. What do you see, Linus?” Lucy asks.

“Well, those clouds up there look like a map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean. That cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, a famous painter. And that group of clouds over there gives me the impressions of the stoning of Stephen. I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side,” Linus replies.

“What do you see in the clouds, Charlie Brown?” Lucy inquires.

“Well, I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsey - but I changed my mind.”

Yes, I usually feel pretty much like Charlie Brown when it comes to comments in class. I’m generally thinking of something along the lines of the ducky/horsey about the same time some young brainiac spews out a Linus answer.

I suppose this is why I’m always reluctant to raise my hand and why I get so nervous about professors who grade on class participation!