Saturday, March 24, 2012

Famous Last Words!

I still remember my dad's laughter when he told me about a headstone that read: "I told you I was sick.” Because I also find that funny, I guess I must share a similar sense of humor with Gramps.

When it comes to famous last words, I read a story about a 91 year old man who, prior to his death, was very clear with his daughter that he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered along the Charles River in Boston. His wife wanted a more conventional funeral for him.

Upon his death, his daughter was able to share the last words he wanted spoken on his behalf. At his funeral service she conveyed the message her father wanted: "Just tell them," he said, "To those of you that knew me, well, you knew me. To those of you that didn't, you missed something.”

And, then his daughter concluded simply by saying: "I knew him, and I miss him.”