Friday, March 30, 2012

Growing Up...

“You may say, But wasn’t this the Sixties? Yes, but only for some people, only in certain parts of the country.” - Julian Barnes

Yes, I grew up in the Sixties (and Seventies too) but the 60’s in Salt Lake City wasn't quite like the 60’s in Haight Ashbury. I was living in the wrong city for any big immersion in the psychedelic hippie culture.

Plus, I was only 10 when the big Woodstock festival took place. Needless to say, I wasn’t in attendance.

Where was I? Well, in junior high days (before any of us could drive) we were haunting the streets of downtown SLC. Truly. My buddies and I thought we were real hot shots taking the city bus downtown.

So, yesterday was almost a deja vu because Brent had meetings and I was downtown without a car, so I wandered to the library, the new City Creek development, and all over the downtown. It felt nostalgic to traipse about by foot everywhere.

Except, of course, you can never quite come back. Salt Lake City is much cooler than when I was young. We didn’t have UTA Trax, or the Gateway, or a big new Whole Foods in Trolley Square. In fact, I can remember what a big deal it was when Trolley Square opened in the early 1970’s.

The highlight yesterday was connecting with Mike and Linda Dunn for dinner, where we did more fun reminiscing about the good old days. Linda definitely taught me the ropes for some of our wild and crazy (Utah style) adventures downtown. Our version of the Sixties!

“When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, ‘It’s not the days that are old, it’s you that’s old.’” -Karl Lagerfeld