Monday, March 19, 2012

Sunday Stillness....

“The task of spiritual direction is not to make something happen, but to become aware of what God is already doing, so that we can respond to it, participate in it, and take delight in it.” - Lisa Myers

Ah, Sundays! What a rich blessing they can be in our busy lives!

Yesterday was an amazing Sabbath! It had been a volatile Saturday, more drama than I like (my bad, I’m afraid some of the hubbub was my fault). But, the chaos did make me particularly grateful for a new day; especially one of rest and reflection.

It was exactly what I needed! I’m not sure whether Sacrament meeting was better than usual because I love and adore the Hollands or if it really was an exemplar meeting. Probably a combination of both factors.

I was just deeply touched from the get-go. Holly and Dave’s talks were great, Alex playing the ukelele while Rachael sang “Soy un hijo de Dios” (the Spanish version of I Am A Child of God) was so tender, and of course, Hermana Holland’s missionary tales were inspiring. Even the ward choir number (with Sophie Ryvola’s special solo) was beautiful.

Before church I happened to be listening to one of my psychology podcasts that was addressing “stillness” (one bonus of psychology is how often it can intersect with things of a spiritual nature). During church it hit me that Sundays are often my stillness from the hectic Monday thru Saturday loudness of the world. Some people manage to function without setting aside a day that is different from the rest; I just don’t think I’m cut out to be one of them. My life is clearly better from having the stillness of a Sabbath (on a weekly basis).

“Stillness is what creates Love
Movement is what creates Life
To be still
But yet moving
That is everything.” - Do Hyun Choe