Tuesday, April 3, 2012

They went home and broke their BREAD!

“There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.” -Mark Twain

One difficult thing about being in Utah was my Lenten sacrifice of no bread. Because, for me, a big draw to Utah is Great Harvest Bread. I love their breads, rolls, muffins; basically it’s all good.

In fact, whenever my nephews used to visit us, Lisa would fill half their suitcase with loaves of Great Harvest bread for our family. It was a great trade, a win-win. We got to have Andrew, Eric, or Alex in town and our favorite bread to boot!

In a ridiculous act of self torture I even went to Great Harvest last week. My intention was to get some bread for the family even though I’m abstaining. But, I had such a hard time refraining from all the warm samples I knew I could never bring anything home and actually steer clear of a loaf right in my kitchen. I left empty-handed (sorry guys) and obsessed with bread-on-the-brain for the rest of the day.

Including today, just 6 more days and I can indulge. Since Great Harvest won’t be an option for my bread-fest-post-Lent I’m mulling over my other options. I’m a fan of the round appetizer bread at Willow Street Pizza (served with oil and vinegar), so maybe I’ll get some of those mini loaves to go. Can’t wait!

“It you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.” -attributed to President Harry Truman