Friday, April 22, 2011

Commencement...

“The truth is, I was afraid the day I walked into Stanford. And I was afraid the day I walked out.” -Carly Fiorina

Carly Fiorina, former HP CEO, is realistic about graduations. They are not a panacea. A college degree may be a key to the future but it’s still only a key. We need to figure out the doors it can open, etc.

Even with a diploma in hand, life can be scary and daunting. I suppose that is why “commencement” is a good word since it really is another beginning of sorts.

But, not to damper the mood, we are in full swing at the graduation exercises for our third and final college graduate. Now the whole family officially has bachelor’s degrees.

I think everyone is fearful facing the future and especially during a time like a graduation. I like Carly Fiorina’s comments during her 2001 commencement speech at Stanford, that follow her acknowledgement of being scared (opening blog quote). Elaborating, Fionina said:

“I was scared of leaving the protective bubble of Stanford for places unknown, during uncertain economic times and I was scared of squandering the incredible gift of my Stanford experience on pursuits that weren’t commensurate with expectations I, and others, had of me. I was scared of not doing it all, of making irrevocable mistakes.

If you’re scared today, let me ask you this: What will you do with your fear? Will you let it become a motivator, or an inhibitor?” -Carly Fiornia