Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dealing with Disappointment...

"Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it." -Eliza Tabor

In the 2010 April Conference, Julie B. Beck, the Relief Society General President, spoke about the desire women have to know if they are successful in a world that can distort what success really means.

I love this quote from her remarks: "We know we are successful if we live so that we qualify for, receive, and know how to to follow the Spirit. When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves."

That rings true to me! When I'm trying hard to be at my best and things go awry, I still feel the sting of disappointment but I don't have the guilt that my actions were the cause.
This sounds like a little thing, but for women who are prone to think we’re at fault for anything that goes wrong, it’s a huge consolation. It’s nice reassurance that we’re not always 100% responsible. Whew!