Friday, April 8, 2011

Kokopelli Power...

What Were We Thinking?

It’s hard to leave Park City without art of some medium so we happily purchased a kokopelli sculpture piece on our recent trip.

Kokopelli have always reminded me of Julie Larson for some reason. Maybe because she used to decorate with a little southwestern flair. Anyway, since I adore Julie, I like the kokopelli figure too.

But, after our purchase, I thought I’d should brush up on the kokopelli origins. Well, it turns out that while the kokopelli may look like an innocent hunchbacked flute player, for Native American cultures he actually symbolizes the fertility god. Let me repeat that for emphasis: Kokopelli = a fertility god! What have we done?!

At present, we don’t need fertility gods lurking in our kitchen. At fifty two years old, I’m not thinking fertility karma is the appropriate deity we ought to display. I think we’re a little old and while we want grandchildren eventually; with no married children this in not the time to be invoking Kokopelli power at our doorstep!

I did feel better when I came across a more general interpretation of the mission of the “fertility” god. Supposedly, if I channel Kokopelli fertility powers into an area of my life that has been stagnant, the result should be productivity (ie. creating fertility) in any dormant aspect I’d like to kick start. Or, Jamie Sans explains it better:

“If Kokopelli has lured you with his magic flute, it is time to listen to his magic song. This song is one of fertility. You are being asked to use your talents to create fertility in one area of your life. If things have been slow moving, Kokopelli’s song is saying that whatever you intend to plant at this time will be very productive for you.

Planting seeds for the future takes effort on your part, so now is the time to use your skill and resources to make use of the magic. If you have a project to begin, or an idea to develop, the timing couldn’t be better. Shift away from any old limiting ideas and move forward. The time is now, the power is you!” -The Discovery of Self Through Native Teachings, by Jamie Sans

Yes, we were lured into buying the Kokopelli piece in Park City, so we shall see if those Hopi Indian traditions bring some new fertility into some aspects (other than reproduction) of our lives! Even if their magic powers are questionable, they’ll still remind me of Julie, which is always a good and happy thing!