Monday, April 4, 2011

Heart & SOUL...

“The story is told of a South American tribe that went on a long march, day after day, when all of a sudden they would stop walking, sit down to rest for awhile, and then make camp for a couple of days before going any farther. They explained that they needed the time of rest so that their souls could catch up with them.” -from “Sabbath” by Wayne Muller

Sundays really are a time of rejuvenation. Like the South American tribe, Sundays are my weekly chance to let my “soul" catch up.

Two weekends a year when our leaders address us for General Conference it’s a setting change (instead of gathering in the chapel, I’m on the living room couch, or like yesterday, in the conference center in Utah) but it is still a Sabbath.

The messages shared by our leaders at General Conference always feel poignant. Sometimes for me personally; sometimes for society at large. When I listen from my couch I have to take notes or I’m easily distracted by laundry, the kitchen (okay, the food in the kitchen is more accurate), etc. Listening from the conference center (like yesterday) I’m more focused and I probably get more from the experience. Either way, I leave General Conference in April and October feeling motivated to live a more Christ centered life.

The church has always been a huge blessing in my life. Gospel messages at conference inspire me and the counsel shared by our General Authorities are good for my soul (just like chicken soup)!

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul...” The 23rd Psalm